Monday, April 22, 2013

What is Kombucha?

Kombucha,Kombucha,Kombucha....people have been raving about this stuff all over the internet,and I didn't exactly know what it was. So I decided to do a little investigation of my own.

Kombucha is a fermented sweetened tea drink that some folks say has medicinal qualities. Kombucha is a living drink. It is a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast and  is said to have originated in Northeastern  China around 2000 years ago and has spread all over the globe.

Kombucha is supposed to have all sorts of cool vitamins in it and is reported to have a fizzy feel in your mouth. It contains multiple species of bacteria and yeast along with organic acids and active enzymes. I guess that's why its said to be a living drink.

Kombucha is said to have many health implications, some say it boosts your immune system and detoxifies the body and energizes the mind.Although there's no scientific proof of the benefits. I've read articles from the medical community that it may be lethal if taken in large doses (more than a 1/4 cup a day). In people who have pre-existing medical conditions it is said to cause acute conditions such as, lactic acidosis (low pH in the blood and body tissues with a build up of lactate).

Although i've heard all sorts of wonderful things and some not so wonderful things about the living drink, I believe I will give it a try and see what all the buzz is about.I'll get back to you with a follow up story once i've taken on the task of drinking it for myself.

Catch you later, Peace and Joy to you :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment